Wednesday, June 12, 2013

June 2013, Summertime is here


 
 Soft, silky, cool hand, excellent drape, luster, high in demand, but rare!! 
 
What is it?  It is suri alpaca! 
 

Well it sure did turn HOT!  The fans are on and the freshly shorn alpacas are staying comfortable in the comfort of the barn in front of fans.  The above photo is early in the morning as they head into the barn to stay cool.   The photo below is  how we shear them using a table and professional shearer.

 

 
I sent several of the fleeces off this year to be made into pin drafted roving.  I just heard from the mill and it is at the pin drafter this week.  Should be getting back to me soon.   Pin drafted roving will be very close to a combed top.  Actually some call it combed top. 

I saved the juvenile fleeces (the first shearing of the alpaca) for me to do by hand as the mills generally don't like this type fleece as it is very fine. 


I will be vending at the World Sheep Festival in Bethel, Mo this September. http://worldsheepfest.com/
I was there a few years back and have decided to hit the road again this year to see old friends and meet new ones.  I will also be doing a needle felting class, called, Felt a Critter Class.   In this class we will be felting a bunny rabbit with ideas on how you can use the technique to felt other critters of your choice.  


I've also been working on some fiber designs to have in my booth for the Bethel sheep festival and the Missouri Botanical Gardens, Best of Missouri Market Fair, in October.  http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/things-to-do/events/signature-events/best-of-missouri-market.aspx

Here is a sample of some of the things you will see in my booths: 



 
Hope to see you soon!!!
 
If there is anything special you would like to see in my shop or my booths, let me know what you are looking for.  I most likely will find a way to make it for you!  I like challenges.